Trustee Expenses Policy
Details on our Trustee Expenses Policy
There are limited, specific, circumstances in which individuals serving as trustees can receive payments from their Academy Trust. However, this should only take place where it is clearly in the best interests of the Academy. Local Governing Bodies in the Academy’s schools are free to determine their own policy on the payment of expenses.
2. PRINCIPLES, AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The Mill Academy Board of Directors believes that paying expenses to Trustees, in specific categories as set out below, is important in ensuring equality of opportunity for all members of the community and so is an appropriate use of Academy funds. The specific items allowable reflect this objective.
Any Trustee of The Mill Academy will be entitled to claim the actual costs, which they incur as follows;
- Trustees will be able to claim for the following, on a case-by-case basis and with the prior approval of the Finance and Resources Committee:
- Childcare costs (excluding payments to a current/former spouse or partner);
- Cost of care arrangements for an elderly or dependent relative (excluding payments to a current/former spouse or partner);
- The extra costs they incur in performing their duties either because they have special needs or because English is not their first language;
- The cost of travel and subsistence relating only to attending training courses and/or attending national meetings at a rate which does not exceed the specified rates for Academy staff;
- Any other justifiable expenses incurred in relation to Trustee duties.
- The Trustees acknowledge that;
- They may not be paid attendance allowance;
- They may not be reimbursed for loss of earnings
Trustees wishing to make claims under these arrangements must seek approval prior to incurring the expense from the Finance and Resources Committee. Once approval is given and the expense incurred, trustees should complete a claims form (obtainable from the Clerk to the Directors), attaching VAT receipts, and return it to the Clerk within one month of the date when the allowances were incurred.
Claim forms will be submitted for approval by the Chair of Finance and Resources and the Director of Finance and Academy Services.
5. ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Claims may be investigated by the Chair of the Board of Directors (or Chair of Finance and Resources in respect of the Chair of Directors) if they appear excessive or inconsistent, and may be subject to independent audit.
Author: N Stretton, Director of Finance and Academy Services Date Adopted: October 2016
Next Review Date: October 2018